Disclaimer: This post contains ZERO affiliate ads – I’m just sharing links to where you can find the products and giving my opinion on the products.
I’m not and never have been a high-maintenance “pretty girl”. I honestly don’t know how to style my hair very well, and my skincare routine is sub-par at best. I rarely wear makeup of any kind (I hate trying to wash it off and I don’t want to spend extra time applying it). One thing I can’t deny is the fact that I’m aging and you can tell.
My hair is beginning to thin and fall out (I don’t seen any obvious bald spots but you can tell the hair is thinning by my temples and it isn’t as thick as it used to be). I am also developing deepening wrinkles around my eyes and forehead (from squinting all day – I need glasses but refuse to get them – long story).
I decided to do a little pinterest research and found some items at my local drugstore that I opted to try out.
- For my legs, which are always ashy and dry, I started using Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula – Moisturizing Body Oil. It smells like chocolate and a little goes a long way. I use about a quarter-size amount on each leg and that seems to be enough. I hate the feeling of being greasy, and this will leave you feeling that way if you overdo it. Otherwise, if you get the right amount it makes you soft and have a light glow.
- I also started using Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula – Skin Therapy Cleansing Oil for my nightly face-washing routine. It takes ALL of my makeup off (when I do choose to wear it) with little effort and leaves my skin soft and clean.
- For my hair, I began using Shea Moisture – Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo and conditioner. It has a light, neutral, earthy smell. It’s not overly perfumed so if you’re looking for good-smelling hair, this probably isn’t the product for you. It doesn’t smell bad, it’s just not a strong smell at all. It makes my hair feel thicker and stronger, but that’s really the only difference I can tell. I like it and will continue using it.
- When I come out of the shower, I spray Not Your Mothers – Way To Grow leave-in conditioner. I focus on my temples and have been seeing results. I have new growth in my problem areas and my hair feels overall thicker than before. I will continue using this product! It doesn’t leave my hair feeling greasy or anything like that.
- When I do actually style my hair, I use Garnier Fructis – Moroccan Sleek Oil prior to blow-drying my hair. It actually reduces the amount of time it takes to dry my hair and leaves it feeling soft and smelling good.
- I also tried Garnier Fructis – 1 Minute Hair Mask (Banana) – I tried it a couple different ways. One, I used it as a leave-in conditioner and attempted to style my hair. It left my hair feeling heavy and oily, so I washed it as normal and tried the mask a second way. I decided to just use it as a conditioner (I left it in for like 3 minutes) and it was fine, but still weighed my hair down once it was rinsed. It has a light banana scent that I like, but for me, it doesn’t work with my hair type.
- I’m new to the dry shampoo world, so I dabble here and there by trying different brands. I tried Biotin – Dry Shampoo and I’m not super crazy about it either. It smells like men’s cologne and leaves my hair feeling a little dry and sticky. I don’t have any issues with white residue, but my hair is blonde so I’m not sure I’d even notice.